Mum’s pajama bottoms

For my mum’s birthday in November, I decided to make her a pair of pajama bottoms. I chose a green and white polkadot cotton.

The pattern I followed was Margot from Tilly Walnes (from

Tilly and the Buttons

) book Love at First Stitch. It was a lovely pattern to follow:

image

I added a pocket – as suggested by Tilly in the adaptations part of her book. I also decided to add a ribbon binding around the edge too!

image

Tilly’s pattern asked for a ribbon drawstring, but I didn’t gave quite enough of the lovely blue polkadot ribbon, so I sewed two bits of the ribbon to the inside of the drawstring channel, and put in some elastic too.

image

Having ribbon edged the pocket, I ribbon edged the drawstring channel and bottom of the legs too.

image

It all started hanging together quite nicely!

image

I also got to use the custom ribbon from The Ribbon Printers that I’m planning to use instead of labels. This looped over the waistband.

image

And here is my mum in them!!

image

image

Advertisements

Bow tie, pocket square, cufflinks project

I still had some scraps of silk left over.

I decided to make my lovely long – suffering boyfriend a bow tie, pocket square and cufflinks for my Dad’s wedding too.

image

The pocket square was really easy. I used a square of paper as a pattern, then rolled and stitched the sides. I reinforced the corners too.

I found a bowtie pattern on Tie a Tie – it was really easy to follow! The hardest bit I found was turning the tie back round the right way – in the end I used a knitting needle (the blunter the better!)

The cufflinks were a bit different. I went into my local craft shop – Creative Crafts in Winchester – and they supplied me with metal cufflink backs and resin. I cut tiny squares of silk, and covered them with layers of resin (12 in total).

Here he is wearing all three – looking very dapper!!

image

Apologies for the lack of piccies on this one, I had to make them in secret so I could present them to him on the day!

Matching bag

I had some scraps of silk left over from the dress and skirt, and some lining left over from the skirt, so I decided to make a handbag to match, for when I wore the dress to to my Dad’s wedding.

image

I just kind of made it up as I went along, making sure there was room for the essentials! I bought a clasp from C & Fabrics and cut the fabric to size.

image

I sewed a half pouch in both fabrics, and rolled the seams in, then stitched them up.

image

Next,  I handstiched the clasp onto the pouch, and made a strap out of more silk scraps.

image

I was careful to make sure the fabric stopped the clasp opening too far, so as to not lose items in the bag when I opened it!

image

There is the finished product! I am rather happy with that – and it worked really well at my Dad’s wedding!

image