Bridesmaid invitations

When we got engaged in April 2015, I knew fairly quickly who I wanted to be my bridesmaids and my maid of honour. The opportunity didn’t easily present itself to ask them, and I wanted to ask them all at once, as most of them knew each other. Also, one was busy organising her own wedding, so I didn’t want to add to the stress!
I decided to make their Christmas presents their invitations to be part of the wedding party. As I had so long, I thought I would make them something to wear at the wedding.
I thought I’d make tiny balls of wool with knitting needles – to symbolise the knitting together of marriage – and make them into pendants.

image

I got some 10mm polystyrene balls, and some pendant connectors. I pushed the connector into the ball, then took it out again.

image

Next, I cut a cocktail stick in half and pushed the two halves through the ball, so they looked like needles through a ball of wool.

image

I used thread in a colour that matched our wedding colourscheme, and gorilla glue gel to stick the thread to the balls. I experimented with several glues until I found one that didn’t melt polystyrene!

image

Once I has secured the pendant connector in place with glue, and sealed the edges of the needles, I thinly coated the ball in glue using a cocktail stick, and started carefully wrapping the ball in thread.

image

I placed the thread carefully, so there wouldn’t be any white showing.

image

Once I was happy with the coverage, I could break off the thread.

image

I threaded a needle with the end of the thread and sewed it through the centre of the ball to secure it.

image

I stuck the drying ones into another ball, that was stuck onto a plaster in its cover (it didn’t need to be that, but I didn’t have a scrap of paper to hand!)

image

Once they were dry, I mixed some blue and yellow Sugru until it was the emerald green we are using for our colourscheme.

image

I used it to put little ends on the knitting needles.

image

I needlefelted a cushion into some boxes I found on ebay, and placed the pendants in there, with a note to the potential bridesmaids…

image

…and the potential maid of honour!

image

They all got packaged up and tied with string, with name tags. Here are three of the six!

image

They all said yes! Here are two of my five bridesmaids, and my maid of honour!

Advertisements

Emerald ball gown

I had a ball to go to, and none of the dresses I had quite fit the bill – I needed a floor length satiny number!
I found Simplicity 2442 and picked out an emerald duchesse satin from Fabric Land.

image

The bodice took a bit of time to come together, as it was ruched and lined as well as interfaced.

image

I liked the top of the sleeves and the neckline for this dress. I was planning on doing a lot of dancing at the ball, so I needed something that would stay in place!

image

image

The bodice was ruched by hand, and finished by hand. I had to be very precise and neat with my hand stitching – not my strongest point!

image

The midsection was ruched by thread pulling, another thing I hadn’t done before, it took a few minutes to get it even, but I was happy with it in the end.

image

Once the bodice was in place, I pinned the skirt up to see how it looked!

image

Here it is at the ball! The zip was a bit tricky to get in as the ruched waist was so thick, and I did have to tack the bottom of the V in the neckline so I wasn’t showing too much flesh when I leant over!
And of course Mike had a pocket square, bowtie and cufflinks to match – he even cut his own bowtie out!

image