Bridesmaid invitations

When we got engaged in April 2015, I knew fairly quickly who I wanted to be my bridesmaids and my maid of honour. The opportunity didn’t easily present itself to ask them, and I wanted to ask them all at once, as most of them knew each other. Also, one was busy organising her own wedding, so I didn’t want to add to the stress!
I decided to make their Christmas presents their invitations to be part of the wedding party. As I had so long, I thought I would make them something to wear at the wedding.
I thought I’d make tiny balls of wool with knitting needles – to symbolise the knitting together of marriage – and make them into pendants.

image

I got some 10mm polystyrene balls, and some pendant connectors. I pushed the connector into the ball, then took it out again.

image

Next, I cut a cocktail stick in half and pushed the two halves through the ball, so they looked like needles through a ball of wool.

image

I used thread in a colour that matched our wedding colourscheme, and gorilla glue gel to stick the thread to the balls. I experimented with several glues until I found one that didn’t melt polystyrene!

image

Once I has secured the pendant connector in place with glue, and sealed the edges of the needles, I thinly coated the ball in glue using a cocktail stick, and started carefully wrapping the ball in thread.

image

I placed the thread carefully, so there wouldn’t be any white showing.

image

Once I was happy with the coverage, I could break off the thread.

image

I threaded a needle with the end of the thread and sewed it through the centre of the ball to secure it.

image

I stuck the drying ones into another ball, that was stuck onto a plaster in its cover (it didn’t need to be that, but I didn’t have a scrap of paper to hand!)

image

Once they were dry, I mixed some blue and yellow Sugru until it was the emerald green we are using for our colourscheme.

image

I used it to put little ends on the knitting needles.

image

I needlefelted a cushion into some boxes I found on ebay, and placed the pendants in there, with a note to the potential bridesmaids…

image

…and the potential maid of honour!

image

They all got packaged up and tied with string, with name tags. Here are three of the six!

image

They all said yes! Here are two of my five bridesmaids, and my maid of honour!

Peacock curtains!

We moved house in the summer, and the new house had no curtains. I had one old set that we put up in the bedroom, but decided to make ones for every other room.

I found some beautiful fabric months ago that has been sat in my sewing room ever since. It is a thick blue and cream woven peacock fabric which is actually reversible – you can have blue peacocks on a cream background, or cream peacocks on a blue background. My lounge is mainly cream, so I went for the side of the fabric with more blue.
Today I finally got a full afternoon to make the curtains! (Full project approx 5 hrs with snack break.)

I’ve never made curtains before, but I have studied a few professionally-made sets, and had a long curtain-making chat with my grandmother this morning so muddled my way through…

image

I started by laying out the fabric and the lining on my lounge floor, which was the biggest surface I could manage. I also brought my sewing machine out of the sewing room as the sewing room wasn’t really set up for large quantities of stiff fabric!

image

I pinned the side seams, and stitched the lining so it wouldn’t be seen from the back.

image

Once I had done both side seams, I gave it a good press.

image

I stitched the header tape along the top, hiding the lining seam, and leaving one end open so I could ruch the curtain.

image

I pressed the bottom turn up and invisibly stitched it up.

image

I pulled the cords and ruched the top, and hung it up to check it was ok before doing the other one!
I did the second one in the same way (albeit a lot quicker now I knew what I was doing) and made sure it was the same length when I hemmed it.

image

Once hung, they looked beautiful, and actually are the same length!

image

I made sure the ruching was even, and tied off the ends but didn’t cut them. I threaded them through a curtain ring behind, so they are invisible. By not cutting them, if I move later on and want slightly wider curtains, I can un-ruch these a bit and they might fit.

I’m pretty proud of these as a first go at curtains, and they certainly do the job. It’s nice to finally have something covering the window in the lounge too!
I know I’ve glossed over some details on this post, but I’m happy to answer any questions if you’re looking for advice on your first curtains – just add a comment

 

Bow tie, pocket square, cufflinks project

I still had some scraps of silk left over.

I decided to make my lovely long – suffering boyfriend a bow tie, pocket square and cufflinks for my Dad’s wedding too.

image

The pocket square was really easy. I used a square of paper as a pattern, then rolled and stitched the sides. I reinforced the corners too.

I found a bowtie pattern on Tie a Tie – it was really easy to follow! The hardest bit I found was turning the tie back round the right way – in the end I used a knitting needle (the blunter the better!)

The cufflinks were a bit different. I went into my local craft shop – Creative Crafts in Winchester – and they supplied me with metal cufflink backs and resin. I cut tiny squares of silk, and covered them with layers of resin (12 in total).

Here he is wearing all three – looking very dapper!!

image

Apologies for the lack of piccies on this one, I had to make them in secret so I could present them to him on the day!